Mutare man claims maintenance from Ex-Wife and wins

In a rare maintenance claim, a Penhalonga man approached the Mutare civil court claiming maintenance from his ex-wife.The man, only named as Zaika appeared before Mrs Anniah Ndiraya claiming $100 maintenance from his ex wife Tamari Zimunya.

“Your Worship I pray that my ex-wife pays maintenance. I am the one staying with the children since she abandoned me. I can provide my children with all basic needs but she should also contribute money for the maid.

“I need only $100 for the maid since I am a grounds man in Penhalonga. The money cannot sustain the salary of the maid. I know she is earning money because she is a cross border trader but she is not contributing anything towards the upkeep of our two children,’’ he said.

However, Zimunya did not show up in court to respond to the claim. Mrs Anniah Ndiraya granted the claim in default of Zimunya.

“I granted this order in your favour in default of Zimunya. I have no other option since you came with the return of service meaning she defaulted court knowingly. She should pay maintenance in the sum of $100 effective from January 31 and failure to comply will constitute a criminal offence,” she said.


In a related maintenance claim, Patience Hurukuro was claiming $500 for school fees only from her husband Robert.

Hurukuro told the presiding magistrate that her ex-husband was not contributing anything for the upkeep of their seven- year-old child who is now residing in South Africa.

“I need him to give me $500 to pay school fees and I can cater for the rest of the basic needs. I am now employed in South Africa and I can do everything for my child but let him pay school fees. I am staying with my child in South Africa and the child is now in arrears of 11 000 rands and I also needs 450 rands this January for this term,” she argued.

Robert told the court that he can only afford $70 and if rated to the South African Rand it was even more than the school fees.

“Your worship we can offer $70 towards the child since she said she only want school fees. $500 is more than want I earn. I have a family to take care of so giving my child the amount I think it is fair. I even doubt the paternity of the child but I cannot neglect the child,” said Robert.

However, Hurukuro denied to accept the money alleging that the money was little and could not cover the school fees arrears.

Mrs Anniah Ndiraya ordered Robert to pay $70 and to go for DNA test before April 30 this year. , ,